As a thirty something who’s been fortunate enough to work in the professional world since I was 16 years old, I’ve embarked on my fair share of job searches. Sometimes with the help of a recruiter. Sometimes without the help of a recruiter. Let me tell you, it is certainly a much less painful process when you have some professional help! Over the course of my searches I’ve had good and bad experiences going at it alone but I’ve never had a bad experience working with Oggi. Below is a rundown of the process, as I* see it, and how enlisting the help of an Oggi Pro can benefit you every step of the way.
- For one reason or another, you’ve decided to find a new job. This is hard and time consuming. Just searching for a job that you would actually be interested in is extremely time consuming. Not to mention finding a job that you are qualified for, meets your salary requirements, offers benefits and has a reasonable commute (this was a key point in my search)! You will spend hours upon hours scouring the internet for a good opportunity if you take on this task alone. Then you will spend even more hours filling out applications online, anxiously checking your email to see if any of your potential new employers have written you back and then, hopefully, following up with each of them. Trying to find a new job will become your part time job. The single most obvious benefit of working with a recruiter is that this is their job. Save yourself the time and stress. Leave it to the pros.
- After doing all that leg work, you get the interview! Now you have no idea what you’re walking into. You don’t know the personality of the person who will be interviewing you. You don’t know what you’ll be asked. You don’t know. . . well, you don’t know anything really. But, if you’re fortunate enough to be working with an Oggi Pro, they will be able to provide some insight. They will be able to tell you things like who you’re going to be interviewing with, what they are like, what they like to see in an employee, what parts of your background to highlight, etc. This type of information is just what you need to walk confidently into an interview.
- “So, how did your interview go?” Inevitably, if anybody knows you had an interview, some well-meaning person will ask you this question and you will end up saying something like, “Well, I think it went ok. . .” all the while wondering if you said the right thing or if you sounded nervous or if you made some critical error. But not if you have an Oggi Pro working with you! A major advantage of a recruiter is that you’ll get that feedback. He/she will tell you if you totally blew it. They will tell you what the interviewer liked about you, what they didn’t, what they wish you were stronger in, what concerns they would have about hiring you. Even if you don’t get a job, the feedback you are given from your recruiter can be extremely helpful for the next interview.
- You nailed the interview! Now you have to decide if it is an opportunity you want to take. Hopefully you were savvy enough to ask questions about the state of the position, your potential new co-workers, your potential new boss and the culture of the department during the interview process. And hopefully you were given very honest answers. But if not, again you’re left a little in the dark. And again, a recruiter can (although they likely already have) shed light on these things. At Oggi they have great client relationships and have often placed someone at the company before. They will be able to tell you things like, “The position is open because the previous person was promoted. The department is really laid back. The department has X number of employees who’ve been around for a long time.” etc. Ideally, if you’re working with a great recruiter, they knew exactly what you were looking for and you wouldn’t have even been put in an interview for a position that wouldn’t fit your personality. (For example if you want a healthy work/life balance. A great recruiter wouldn’t have put you in an interview for a position that will likely be looking for 60+ hour work weeks.) These are things you wouldn’t necessarily know on your own and an employer might not have been brutally honest about. This is huge benefit of having an Oggi Pro working for you and can save you from working in an environment that is incredibly unsuited to your personality.
- Now you finally get the job offer! You decide you want to take the job and pat yourself on the back for making it this far. But now you have to do the single worst part of the whole process. (For me anyhow!) Negotiations. Nobody wants to negotiate but you can’t sell yourself short so it’s a vital part of the process. This, for me is probably the single BEST part of having a recruiter. They do this for you! Any recruiter worth their salt will already have a good idea of what you’re willing to accept and what the company they had you interview with is looking to pay. (And, if this didn’t somewhat align up front, a great recruiter would not have put you in front of that employer to begin with.) Thankfully, if a recruiter is involved, this should be a simple step for them and seamless for you.
As you can tell, to a large degree, the enhanced ease of the process by using a recruiter certainly has a lot to do with which recruiter you choose to give your business. You want to work with somebody who values your business, is willing to put your wants and needs above their bottom line and who appreciates your expectations for a potential position. You do not want to work with somebody who is just trying to put you in front of any old company regardless of how you would fit there just to make a buck. Choose your recruiter wisely. Based on my experiences working with other firms in the Twin Cities and Oggi my advice to you: call Oggi today.
*We have the best relationships in the business. This “The Real Oggi” blog is written by s real candidate. We are so grateful for her kind words and will work today, tomorrow and every day to provide her – and all of our clients, candidates and consultant results – with passion and integrity.